The Trinity Rescue Kit is a free software program available for download that allows users to reset and create a new Windows logon password in case the password has been lost or forgotten. With a few simple steps after downloading the Trinity Rescue Kit, you will have a new password for your Windows Vista or XP administrator account to log on with.
1. Open your computer’s default Internet browser and visit a trustworthy download website where the Trinity Rescue Kit is available for free (see Resources). Use a separate computer if you cannot log into the computer you are trying to reset the password for.
2. Download the version of the Trinity Rescue Kit that fits your computer’s operating system. Choose the most current, stable build release of the program to download for the most available options and features when using the software. Allow the download to complete and save the file to your computer’s hard drive.
3. Burn the Trinity Rescue Kit to a CD or DVD, because it is an ISO file and should be burned to a DVD or CD. Download free ISO burning software from a legitimate, trustworthy website (see Resources) to burn the Trinity Rescue Kit to a CD or DVD. Once you burn the rescue kit to a CD or DVD, boot the computer that holds the password you would like to reset with the burnt CD or DVD in the drive.
4. Select the first option that appears to run the Trinity Rescue Kit when you begin booting up your computer.
5. Type “winpass –l” when the program completely initializes and loads; this will load the computer’s user names. Type “winpass –u admin” in order to reset the computer’s administrator account and password. Choose the drive and partition you wish to reset the password on. Once you choose this and make any other changes to the settings and preferences, restart your computer. The computer will boot up as normal and your administrator screen will appear upon the computer loading up. The admin password field may be left blank as the password as been reset. Simply click the administrator icon to boot up your computer and load your programs normally without the password requirement.