Use Home Remedies to Treat Food Poisoning
Food poisoning can happen anywhere: picnics, restaurants, or even from your food at home. Food poisoning usually occurs because someone prepares food without clean hands, transferring bacteria to the food. It will also happen if the food is not thoroughly cooked. The result may just feel like a bad case of the flu. However, if your symptoms include symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or dehydration, you should go to the hospital. A lot of food poisoning cases can be taken care of at home and even before the symptoms occur.
1. Flush your system out with as many fluids as possible. When you think you might have food poisoning, getting the poison out of your body is important. Vomiting is common and will get rid of the bacteria that is causing the food poisoning, but it will also flush out the important things such as potassium, sodium and glucose. By drinking water and juice or Gatorade, you will get back those important electrolytes as well as get rid of the food poisoning.
2. Mix some fruit juice (for potassium), a little bit of honey or corn syrup, and a pinch of salt to help flush your system out. You can use this mixture instead of or with Gatorade to flush out your system and retain important electrolytes.
3. Drink an herbal tea mixture of mint, blackberry, chamomile and raspberry. Sip it slowly. This will help you relax and ease the pain of the cramps.
4. Eat some bread. Bread will help soak up some of the poison and give you some relief. As soon as you start to feel the symptoms, eat a couple of pieces of bread to prevent some of the after effects such as vomiting and diarrhea.
5. Rest as much as you can. If the symptoms are not too bad and there is no need to go to the hospital, cancel any plans you have and stay home and rest. Let the food poisoning run its course.