Use Holistic Medicine to Treat Ear Infections
Ear infections are very common among children. Typically they’re treated with antibiotics. You could also try holistic medicine, which attempts to treat infections without antibiotics or other harsh medicines. Follow these steps to find out how.
Use Herbal Remedies
1. Use herbal ear drops as an alternative to antibiotics, to treat pain and symptoms. Herbal ear drops can be purchased at most health food stores as well as in many online specialty boutiques.
2. Buy ear drops that contain calendula, garlic and/or mullein flower. These ingredients are usually found in ear drops given to children to reduce ear pain and discomfort.
3. Use eucalyptus ear drops for children 6 and older. Eucalyptus shouldn’t be administered to anyone under the age of 6.
4. Take echinacea to help reduce symptoms and strengthen the immune system.
5. Exclude mucus-causing food from your diet or a child’s diet during infection. Avoid dairy completely.
Prevent Ear Infections
6. Maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating nutritious foods and getting plenty of sleep and exercise. These are the best ways to prevent any type of infection or disease.
7. Keep away from cigarette smoke. Children are particularly susceptible to smoke and can develop respiratory issues that lead to ear infections.
8. Avoid contact with those who are ill. Sick children can easily transmit germs to your child that can worsen his or her ear infection.
9. Wash hands and toys regularly to lessen the possibility of infection caused by household germs.
10. Feed an infant in an upright position to prevent an accumulation of fluid that can lead to infection.
11. Share moments with your child that help relieve stress and support a relaxed environment. A simple day of laughter and play outdoors can go a long way.