Use Holistic Medicine for Pain Management
Holistic medicine offers many treatments for pain management. Holistic medicine attempts to help treat the roots, not just the symptoms, of the pain. By taking into account all aspects of one’s life, holistic medicine practitioners try to determine which treatments or herbal supplements will help best to manage your pain. Some treatments may involve changes in nutrition. Others may involve physical therapy. Many times you’ll be asked to incorporate both into your holistic treatment. Follow these steps to learn more.
Exhale Your Pain Away
1. Take a deep breath and let it out fully.
2. Allow your whole body to take in the breath. Don’t take small, shallow breaths. Don’t hyperventilate.
3. Pinpoint the area of your body where you’re experiencing pain. Breathe into that exact part of your body.
4. Let go of the pain with each exhale.
5. Imagine yourself pain-free. Relax into your natural state of health and peace.
6. Repeat this a couple times until the pain lessens.
Use Alternate Treatments for Pain Management
7. Get treatment through a holistic practitioner. The “American Holistic Health Association” Web site offers links and information to help you find a practitioner (see Resources below).
8. Choose from among 4 widely used holistic treatments: acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy or reflexology.
9. Use acupuncture to relieve pain. Acupuncture can be used to relieve many types of pain, from occasional headaches to chronic pain.
10. Opt for a chiropractic visit where you will receive adjustments and body alignment to restore well-being.
11. Pick massage therapy to soothe and melt away pain through its healing touch. Massage has been used for centuries for the treatment of pain and tension.
12. Try reflexology for pain relief. It revitalizes the body with pressure applied to the reflex areas in the hands and feet.
13. Be aware that reflexology shouldn’t be used to replace a medical treatment. Use it as a complementary treatment to alleviate pain.