Perimenopause is the phase that marks the transition into menopause for a woman. Women who are going through perimenopause often have hot flashes, period irregularities, irritability and other physical changes. If you treat these symptoms, it will make the transition much smoother.
1. Speak to your doctor. Your gynecologist can assure you that the changes that you are experiencing are normal for a woman going through perimenopause. She may ask you to monitor your menstrual cycle or hormone levels.
2. Take oral contraceptives. Women have found that continuing on their birth control pills eases perimenopause symptoms. This is because the pill regulates the body’s estrogen levels.
3. Eat a well-balanced diet. A diet high in fiber and calcium will not only increase your energy level, but also help prevent bone loss. Bone loss is a common symptom of perimenopause.
4. Keep up with your exercise routine. Although you may feel tired during perimenopause, you should still keep working out. Exercising can cure fatigue and muscle aches, two perimenopause symptoms.
5. Practice relaxation techniques. Yoga and meditation keep stress levels down and help you deal with this phase of your life. If you feel symptoms coming on, take slow and long breaths.