Gout is a condition caused by excessive buildup of uric acid, which ends up being deposited in certain joints of your body, such as toes, feet, knees and wrists.Gout causes a great deal of pain and the affected joints can become swollen and inflamed. Allopurinol (Zyloprim) and Colchicine are two prescription drugs that your doctor may prescribe to help relieve your symptoms, but they have been known to have mild to severe side-effects, including liver toxicity. If you want to find alternative ways to help reduce your gout symptoms, there are several natural options you can try.
1. Watch your diet. Avoid foods that are fried and stay away from sugary foods. Limit consumption of beans, poultry, yeast products, fish, peanuts and meat. Instead, eat green and starchy vegetables, corn, fruit, rice, eggs, milk and cheese. Do not drink alcohol, but drink plenty of purified water, as it helps get rid of uric acid.
2. Take 3,000 milligrams of alfalfa tablets every day. If the tablets are too harsh for your stomach, get them in capsule form. Alfalfa helps reduce uric acid levels.
3. Use helpful herbs, such as devil’s claw, bilberry, yarrow, yucca, juniper, skullcap, chamomile, hyssop, turmeric, burdock and boswellia.
4. Mix honey and apple cider vinegar, two spoonfuls each, and take it once in the morning and once before you go to bed. It can aid in alleviating some of the discomfort you have. Use the organic kind of apple cider vinegar, however, instead of the kind you find at grocery stores, as it is more purified and works more effectively.
5. Make a paste, consisting of wintergreen oil and cayenne powder and rub it into the areas that are causing you pain. It will help cut down the pain and reduce inflammation. Be careful not to rub your eyes accidentally when using this mixture.
6. Drink a glass of unsweetened cherry juice every day to bring relief to your gout symptoms.
7. Try homeopathic remedies to help with gout symptoms and pain. Remedies include Belladonna, Rhus toxicodendron and Arnica. The dosage amounts can go from 3x all the way to 12x, but you should probably consult with a homeopathic practitioner to see which of these remedies is best suited for you.