Treat Colic with Herbal Home Remedies
Many newborns do not have a completely mature digestive system. During the first months of life some babies have intestinal spasms or trapped gas. Colic is often described as a pattern of intense crying that is not caused by too little food, or other discomfort. Persistent crying after feeding and passing gas is a strong sign of colic. Colic can be exhausting for the parents, because they cannot comfort the baby. However, colic is not a dangerous condition and usually ends by the time the child is three to four months old.
1. Brew some fennel herbal tea. Fennel tea is a home remedy offered for babies who suffer from colic. The tea is make from the crushed seeds and given to the baby to sip throughout the day.
2. Give the baby some peppermint tea. Peppermint tea contains a carminative oil. Carminative oils reduce gas in the stomach or intestines, which causes the pain of colic. Peppermint also reduces inflammation in the bowels and lessens gas production.
3. Cure colic with chamomile tea. Chamomile tea has been used for centuries to sooth colicky infants without any harm to the baby. Many parents favor chamomile tea as the best cure for colic.
4. Use lemon balm to treat colic. Lemon Balm is a member of the mint family. It has been used for centuries for its soothing effects on the stomach and intestines. It relieves the bloating and gas of colic.
5. Make a soothing herbal tea from dill. Dill is also used as a soothing tea and is a common herbal remedy for colic. For babies with colic, use a very weak tea in small amounts.