Treat a sore throat and get rid of throat irritations typical with infections and viruses. You can stop inflammation and quickly relieve a sore, scratchy throat with medications and home remedies.
1. Grab a lozenges. Pop a throat lozenge or cough drop to help relieve scratchiness and soothe an irritated throat.
2. Take cold medications. Pain relievers in cold medications can help treat a sore throat. Take medication as instructed.
3. Skip cold liquids. Ice cold drinks may worsen a sore throat. Treat a sore throat by sipping on warm or hot liquids such as tea or coffee.
4. Make soup. Along with hot beverages, regularly eat soup or broth to help soothe throat irritation and get over a sore throat fast.
5. Grab your scarf. Wrap a scarf around your nose and mouth before going outside in the winter to avoid breathing in cold air.
6. Take an antihistamine. Allergens may be the culprit. Avoid common irritants such as cigarette smoke, perfumes and other chemicals, or take an allergy medication to ease symptoms.
7. Treat a sore throat with saltwater. Drop a few pinches of salt in warm water and gargle several times a day to stop throat irritation or pain.
8. See a doctor. A chronic sore throat that doesn’t respond to home remedies can indicate strep throat or another infection. See a doctor if your condition worsens.