Dogs sometimes fall prey to conditions, such as kennel cough and bronchitis, in which they have frequent coughing spells, not unlike when humans have a cold. The cough may be dry, hacking and violent in nature, causing the animal considerable discomfort and pain in his throat. This can be frustrating for you and your beloved canine. To bring relief to your dog and ease or reverse his coughing, you should give consideration to some common remedies that may help.
1. Ask your veterinarian if he can put your dog on an antibiotic. Antibiotics, such as Clavamox, may help clear up any infection or virus that may be present, resulting in less coughing. Make sure that you give your dog the complete course of antibiotics.
2. Consider giving your dog a homeopathic remedy. Common remedies used to treat coughing in dogs include Dulcama, Plantago lanceolata, Coccus, Echinacea purpurea, Drosera and Bryonia. Speak with a homeopathic practitioner to determine which remedy is best suited for your dog’s specific set of symptoms and to find out what the proper dosage should be.
3. Try giving your dog a tablespoon of honey combined with a small amount of lemon juice. The honey helps to soothe the throat. This should typically be given every four hours.
4. Use vapor to help ease your dog’s cough. You can do this by letting him breathe in steam from a hot shower. This should be done no longer than 15 minutes and should aid in helping him to breathe better and causing him to get rid of phlegm that may be inducing his cough.
5. Keep a humidifier near where your dog is sleeping or lying down. Having humidity in the environment is a good method of helping to reduce coughing.