When your baby has a cold, relieve his symptoms with natural remedies.
When your baby is suffering from a cold, you can’t relieve his symptoms with medication and must rely on natural remedies. According to the Mayo Clinic, babies under 3 months old should never be given over-the-counter cold remedies and babies 3 months to 2 years old should not be given cold medications unless instructed by a doctor. The good news is that there are simple ways to naturally relieve your baby’s cold symptoms.
1. Use a non-medicated saline spray to clear your baby’s stuffy nose.
Relieve your baby’s stuffy nose with saline spray. Spray a little amount of saline spray into each nostril to help loosen mucus and clear baby’s stuffy nose. You should also do this 15 minutes before your baby nurses or drinks from a bottle to make eating easier.
2. Clear baby’s stuffy nose with a rubber bulb syringe. Place the rubber bulb suction syringe in each nostril and suction out mucus from your baby’s nose. Spraying a little saline spray in your baby’s nose first will help in suctioning the mucus.
3. Keep your baby‘s nose from chapping by using petroleum jelly. Constantly wiping your baby‘s nose will cause it to chap and scab. Dab a little petroleum jelly on the outside of your baby’s nose after wiping it.
4. Use a humidifier or vaporizer. The Mayo Clinic says that keeping the air moist will relieve your baby‘s congestion and improve a runny nose. Run it day and night and make sure to change the water daily to prevent mold.
5. Add menthol or eucalyptus oil to the humidifier or vaporizer. Adding a few drops of menthol or eucalyptus oil to the water clears the sinuses so your baby will sleep better at night.
6. Elevate baby’s mattress from underneath to relieve a stuffy nose.
Elevate crib mattress from underneath. Place one or two folded towels under the baby’s crib mattress to elevate the head. This makes breathing easier and slows down post-nasal drip, which causes coughing at night. Never place a pillow in the baby’s crib because it can pose a suffocation hazard.
7. Give baby a warm bath to drain sinuses.
Give your baby a warm bath. Sitting in warm water will drain your baby’s sinuses and clear out a stuffy nose. Sitting in a steamy bathroom is also effective.