If you have ever experienced the pain of an abscessed tooth you want the best pain relief as quick as you can possibly get it. Read on to learn relieve the pain of an abscess tooth.
1. Know that having a tooth abscess is not much fun for anyone or those around us; a person is understandably mean and nasty when pain is present. The first step to pain relief is getting an ice pack on your face, to help keep the swelling down and to restrict the blood flow into that area.
2. Calling a dentist as soon as possible for antibiotics is a great step, however in most areas you will have to wait a bit to get an appointment. Telling the office you will take an appointment at the last-minute is a great way to get in there quicker.
3. Picking up the prescription your dentist gives you is great; make sure you take all of it as prescribed. Keeping up with ice packs on your face for 20 minutes at a time will work wonders for swelling and pain relief, so keep there.
4. Gargling with warm salt water is an excellent way to get some pain relief is you can stand it. Try not to gargle when the pain is at its worst; during this time rinse your mouth with the antiseptic mouthwash. Swish and spit it as tolerated for pain relief.
5. Getting the tooth removed as soon as possible is a great idea to assure that the tooth never abscesses again. Your dentist may drain the abscess on an emergency visit, which is great for pain relief but will wait to remove the tooth until a person has been on antibiotics for a few days.