You can overcome sinus misery.
Chronic sinus inflammation can be annoying and painful. The condition is often not bad enough to warrant trip to the doctor, but it still needs treatment. There are many simple ways to cure sinus inflammation naturally. You can do them at home. If they are applied consistently, they will relieve your sinus inflammation and allow you to breathe comfortably.
1. Drink as much liquid as possible to dilute the mucus in your inflamed sinuses and promote proper drainage. The Mayo Clinic says the best options are water and juice, although you can drink decaffeinated or herbal tea if you find hot drinks to be more soothing. Avoid coffee and other drinks that contain caffeine because they can dehydrate you.
2. Soak a clean towel or cloth in warm water. Apply it as a compress to your face. Do this several times a day for up to five minutes at a time. The warmth will decrease inflammation and promote proper circulation of blood to your sinuses.
3. Give yourself a steam treatment by taking a long, hot shower that allows plenty of time to breathe the moist air. You can also fill a bowl with hot water and breathe in the steam it generates, keeping a towel over your head to concentrate the steam. Warm, moist air soothes irritation and can also decrease sinus pain, according to the Mayo Clinic.
4. Put a small dab of menthol rub under your nostrils, or breathe in eucalyptus or menthol vapors from aromatherapy oils. These substances open the sinuses naturally, relieving inflammation.
5. Use a neti pot or other home sinus irrigation system that runs a mild salt solution through your sinuses. This reduces inflammation by flushing out the irritated sinus cavities. Once you have cured the inflammation, irrigate your sinuses regularly to prevent recurrences.