Plantar warts appear on the soles of the feet. The plantar is the bottom surface of the foot. Warts are contagious skin growths caused by the human papillomavirus. HPV is a common infection that not only causes a variety of warts, but is also linked to several types of cancers. Plantar warts usually appear on the heel or the ball of foot. Warts heal on there own, but plantar warts should be treated. These warts are on the pressure points of the foot so walking could be painful. Although there is no cure for warts, several natural remedies exist to treat the symptoms.
1. Keep your feet dry. The eMedicine Health website suggests keeping your feet dry. Plantar warts thrive in moist areas so it is important to keep your feet dry. Wear cotton socks so the perspiration can evaporate more easily. Change your socks twice a day if needed Also add powder to the socks to absorb the sweat. Corn starch and baking soda are two products to try.
2. Use mild acids. One way to remove plantar warts is to exfoliate the top layers of wart until they are all worn away. A few good natural cures are lemon juice, lime juice, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. The lemon and lime contain citric acid and the vinegars have ascetic acid. Apply one of these acids to the plantar warts at least twice a day. These natural acids exfoliate the warts over time.
3. Use garlic juice. Take a clove of fresh garlic and squeeze out the juice. Then apply it to the wart. This is a popular folk remedy for many types of warts. Garlic is believed to have antiviral properties.
4. Use essential oils. There are a few essential oils that are recommended by herbalists to cure warts. Lemon balm oil not only softens the wart, but its citric acid sloughs off the hard skin covering. Birch oil is an herbal remedy that contains betulinic acid. Apply one of these oils to the plantar wart twice daily. In time the top covering will wear away until the wart disappears.
5. Apply Vitamin A to warts. Vitamin A is an antioxidant that is proven in clinical trials to help with skin repair and renewal. Open a Vitamin A capsule and apply the contents to the plantar warts once or twice a day.
6. Use a hyperthermic treatment. Soaking your feet in hot water for 90 minutes every day is also an option. According to eMedicine Health, this method can take several months to remove the wart.