Herpes simplex 1 is a virus that causes infections often referred to as cold sores or fever blisters. These small, fluid-filled blisters typically appear around the mouth and nose. They can be extremely painful and may reoccur periodically. Although the infection will always remain in the body, the cold sores it causes can be treated and prevented.
1. Apply lemon balm cream or salve to the affected area up to three times per day. When used regularly, lemon balm’s antiviral properties will speed healing and decrease the frequency of recurring outbreaks.
2. Combine ½ teaspoon dried sage leaves with 1 cup boiling water. Allow the mixture to steep for up to 15 minutes. Strain the herbs from the liquid. Add 1 teaspoon powdered ginger to the resulting tea and stir until dissolved. Drink up to 3 cups of the tea until the cold sores have cleared.
3. Take four acidophilus capsules three times per day with 1 cup of milk as soon as burning or itching is experienced. If taken soon enough, this is one of the natural cures that can prevent the outbreak completely.
4. Rub pure aloe vera juice on the affected area at the first sign of an outbreak to prevent the sore from forming. Rub aloe vera juice on an established sore to speed the healing process.
5. Take 200mg of Echinacea, in capsule form, four times per day to enhance the immune system. This herb is one of the best natural cures for herpes simplex 1, due to its powerful antibiotic and antiviral properties.