How Long Does A Pumpkin Stay Good After Carving It

A carved pumpkin without any preservative treatment will begin to show its age within a day or two.

Few things are more disappointing than spending an afternoon carving the perfect jack-o’-lantern only to watch your creation shrivel and sprout colorful, fuzzy mold in only a matter of days. Once the vulnerable inner flesh of a pumpkin is exposed to the elements, the squash doesn’t stay pretty for long. Although stopping the natural process of decay isn’t possible, some treatments can help a carved pumpkin stay fresh a little longer. Does this Spark an idea?

Untreated Pumpkins

Depending on the humidity and temperature of the environment, a carved pumpkin without any preservative treatment will begin to show its age within a day or two. Within that time, the cut surfaces will begin to dry and shrivel, and the first spots of mold will probably appear as well. The first areas of rot will appear soon after, and within a week to 10 days, an untreated pumpkin will most likely be a soggy, moldy, fly-attracting mess.

Petroleum Jelly

Applying petroleum jelly to your pumpkin’s carved surfaces will theoretically provide a barrier that will prevent the pumpkin from losing moisture and drying out too quickly. Research seems to show that the jelly can keep a jack-o’-lantern looking firm and fresh during the first day or two after carving, but the coating does little to prevent rot or the growth of mold, and the overall lifespan of the pumpkin is not significantly increased when petroleum jelly is applied.

Sealants

A variety of methods are used to seal the surface of a carved pumpkin, thus keeping moisture in and mold and bacteria out. White glue, hairspray, varnish and clear acrylic paint are all recommended pumpkin sealants. While trials seem to indicate that an adequately applied sealant might extend the life of a pumpkin a bit, results suggest that sometimes the preservatives might actually encourage mold and rot. In any case, none of the sealants appear to keep a pumpkin attractive beyond the typical lifespan.

READ  Natural Feline Urinary Tract Infection Treatments

Bleach and Other Disinfectants

The most promising pumpkin preservative appears to be a simple solution of bleach and water. When sprayed over the pumpkin after the initial carving and periodically afterward, the bleach solution will inhibit the growth of mold and bacteria and slow down the process of rot and deterioration. The bleach does not, however, provide a moisture barrier like some of the other preservatives, so the pumpkin will continue to dry and perhaps shrivel. It will not be very attractive after a week or so, but the days until then should be relatively mold-free.