Psoriasis and eczema are both inflammatory skin conditions resulting from mistaken attacks of healthy tissue by your immune system. Both conditions come and go in a cycle of remission and flare-ups. You can do several things to clear up active outbreaks and help achieve remission. This includes conventional and alternative therapies, dietary changes and self-care methods. A combination of methods addressing different aspects of the condition is the most effective way to treat eczema and psoriasis.
1. Avoid irritants. Stay away from soaps and other body care products that contain artificial fragrance and other unnatural ingredients. Do not wear itchy materials or tight clothing that rubs up against your skin.
2. Ask your doctor about conventional therapies available to you. They include steroid creams, retinoids and a variety of others that address symptoms of these conditions and help clear them up. Use any medications as directed and do not alter or stop your treatment regimen without talking to your doctor first.
3. Adjust your diet. Avoid or limit foods that promote inflammation and weaken immunity. They include saturated fats found in animal products, white flour foods and white sugar found in cookies, soda and the like. Consider getting tested for food allergies and sensitivities. Eat foods that combat inflammation and strengthen immunity; they include cold-water fish, nuts, whole soy, fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
4. Reduce stress. High stress levels can trigger psoriasis and eczema episodes and worsen current outbreaks. Experiment with different techniques to induce relaxation. Try meditation, yoga, tai chi, exercise, deep breathing, hypnosis and positive visualization.
5. Experiment with natural therapies. The University of Maryland Medical Center states that acupuncture has been shown to provide relief from these conditions. The topical homeopathic treatments calendula, sulphur, urtica urens, apis mellifica and rhus toxicodendron are commonly used for eczema and psoriasis. Use as directed on the product label.