Blow your nose frequently to remove mucous from your body.
Whether it’s in your nose, ears, chest or throat, mucous can be incredibly debilitating. If you have had mucous for an extended period of time and it doesn’t seem to be improving, see your doctor. You may have a chronic issue that require medical treatment. If there is not a medical problem, there are many things you can do to help thin the mucous and to try to get rid of it completely. Be diligent in your treatment methods and follow through with your treatment plans.
1. Pour boiling water into a container and let it cool for a few minutes. Place a towel over your head and bend over the container, trapping the steam from the water around you. Breathe in and out slowly for five to 10 minutes. Steam helps loosen mucous so repeat this procedure a few times throughout the day and you’ll see a lessening of the buildup.
2. Take a long, hot shower. The steam from the shower will help to loosen your mucous, as will the heat from the water soaking your head and chest.
3. Drink lots of water. This is one of the surest ways to get rid of mucous, as water helps to thin it. As the mucous begins to thin, it will be flushed from your body. The more water you drink, the faster the mucous will be flushed out.
4. Consume warm liquids such as warm water, hot tea and soups. Warm liquids help to thin and loosen mucous more rapidly than cool liquids. Steer clear of dairy-based liquids that contain milk, as these can exacerbate the problem.
5. Gargle with warm salt water. You can also use a syringe to insert salt water into your nasal passages. This will help to dislodge mucous that is stuck there.
6. Add a few pinches of cayenne pepper to hot tea or warm soup. The pepper carries a kick that can aid in clearing your sinuses.
7. Spray a nasal medication up your nose. These nasal sprays work quickly so you should feel an almost immediate improvement in your nasal mucous. Be aware that you should only use nasal sprays for a few days. Refer to the particular medication’s instructions regarding frequency of use.
8. Try an expectorant that will encourage mucous to be expelled from your body. Drink adequate water when taking an expectorant. As the mucous becomes loose, spit it out when you cough it up. Do not swallow it. Also, blow your nose frequently to remove the mucous from your body.