Shingles, also known as zoster virus, is a viral disease that causes painful rashes on a small area of one side of the body. It is caused by the varicella zoster virus, which is the same virus responsible for causing chicken pox. The virus stays dormant in the body even after chicken pox dissipates and the lingering virus has the potential to turn into shingles at any time. Shingles is commonly treated with anti-viral herbs, roots and fruit to safely reduce symptoms and grant shingles relief.
1. Make a cup of lemon balm tea to treat shingles pain. Combine 1 teaspoon of dried lemon balm with one cup hot water and allow the mixture to steep for 15 minutes. Strain the liquid and consume immediately for shingles pain relief.
2. Add powdered cayenne pepper to a small amount of skin lotion until it turns pink in color. Apply the mixture to a small portion of skin to ensure no irritation occurs. Rub the lotion into the afflicted area for fast shingles relief.
3. Add 2 sticks of licorice root to 1 cup of hot water and steep for 15 minutes. Strain the sticks out of the tea prior to drinking. Apply topically by soaking a clean cloth in the tea and placing directly onto the inflamed skin for shingles relief. You may also drink the tea to expedite healing.
4. Consume plenty of pears for relief from shingles pain. Pears are rich in caffeic acid, which is a commonly used as a natural antiviral treatment. Eat at least 2 pears a day and drink several glasses of pear juice for maximum shingles relief.
5. Take two 500 milligram tablets of lysine four times a day for shingles relief. Lysine is an anti-viral amino acid effective at treating shingles. Continue taking daily until pain and other symptoms subside.