Anxiety is a common problem with many people in today’s stressful society. A person who suffers from anxiety must be careful to treat his anxiety before it gets the best of him and turns into a panic attack. Many natural remedies, including meditation, herbs and yoga techniques, can help sufferers of anxiety achieve control over their anxious feelings so that they can live more fulfilling lives.
Deep Breathing Meditation
1. Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed for at least 15 minutes. Sit or lie down.
2. If you are sitting, make sure you have proper posture. Straighten the back and make sure your weight is evenly distributed along your spine.
3. Take a deep breath. Make sure you breathe from deep in your diaphragm. The diaphragm muscle is located just under the bottom of your ribs. If you are breathing from your diaphragm correctly, your stomach should expand considerably, but your chest should barely move or expand at all. If you are laying down, it may help to place a book on your stomach so you can see it rising and falling as you breathe.
4. Count your breaths and think only of the breath. If you find your mind wandering, gently bring it back to counting your breath and begin counting again at one.
5. As thoughts of situations and people who bring you anxiety emerge, simply allow those thoughts to pass as you continue breathing deeply and counting your breaths.
6. Try some mild herbal treatment for your anxiety. Chamomile is one safe and soothing herb that has been used as a treatment for anxiety for centuries.
7. The easiest way to take chamomile is to get a tea from your local grocery store. Chamomile tea is inexpensive and easy to prepare.
8. To prepare chamomile tea, bring a mug of water to a boil in the microwave, or boil some water in a tea kettle. Steep one chamomile tea bag in the boiling water for 5 minutes or more, depending on your taste.
9. Sweeten the tea to taste. Honey is a tasty and soothing sweetener that has commonly reported effects of reducing allergies and helping with the pain of a sore throat.