Acne can occur for a wide range of reasons, such as diet, bacteria and genetics. Oftentimes, acne is associated with hormonal changes. It is particularly present during puberty and also quite common in menopausal women. The hormonal changes associated with menopause lead to various skin changes, including acne. Thankfully, there are many things you can do to cure menopausal acne. If you use a dedicated skincare regime, you’ll see improvements over time. Does this Spark an idea?
1. Talk to your gynecologist about hormonal medications. Oftentimes, menopausal acne is due to hormonal imbalances, particularly an overabundance of testosterone or a lack of estrogen. Your doctor can prescribe medications to stabilize your hormone levels. Hormone treatments often eliminate menopausal acne.
2. Cleanse your skin twice daily using an antibacterial cleanser. If you don’t remove excess oil, sweat, makeup and bacteria regularly, they will clog your pores and worsen your menopausal acne.
3. Moisturize your skin. As we age, our skin loses much of its elasticity and moisture. If you don’t moisturize your skin, your body may produce excess oil in an effort to hydrate itself. This excess oil can often lead to and worsen menopausal acne. Prevent this issue by hydrating your skin daily using a moisturizer appropriate for your skin type.
4. Apply an acne treatment cream to your menopausal acne. These creams are available over-the-counter in most cosmetic or drugstores. They often contain benzoyl peroxide, an effective ingredient for treating acne. Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria and encourages skin cell regeneration so your acne will clear up in a timely manner.
5. Consume a healthy diet. Poor nutrition can exacerbate menopausal acne. Get most of your vitamins and nutrients from fresh, natural foods. You can also take a multivitamin to supplement your intake.
6. Create a paste by mixing equal parts baking soda and water. Apply the paste to your acne and let it work there for approximately 20 minutes before rinsing it off. The baking soda will absorb excess oil and eliminate bacteria, helping your acne to clear more quickly.
7. Dip a cotton ball in witch hazel and apply it to your skin. Witch hazel works as a natural toner, killing bacteria and promoting clear, healthy skin.