Melasma, or brown spots, is a common skin condition in which the skin pigment melanin is unevenly distributed in the skin. Melasma can affect anyone, although women with brownish-skin complexions are at higher risk. Melasma can be caused by overexposure to sunlight. It is also directly related to using birth-control pills, hormone-replacement therapy and pregnancy. Melasma disappears gradually over seven-to-nine months after completing hormone-replacement therapy, after giving birth or stopping oral contraceptives. Melasma does not return with use of these medications or additional pregnancies. By employing all the natural remedies below, you can effectively and naturally treat melasma without having to wait many months.
1. Gently massage the affected areas with aloe vera gel. Aloe vera contains a potent substance called mucilaginous polysaccharide (MPS), which softens and lightens brown spots and other discolorations. Apply the aloe vera gel to the affected areas and massage in circular motions for 15 minutes and leave on overnight. Aloe vera gel can be purchased at any health-food store near you.
2. Rub an oatmeal-and-milk mixture to the affected areas every day. Oatmeal is a natural skin-exfoliating substance, which can lighten skin discolorations such as melasma. Mix one cup of uncooked oats and a 1/2 cup of milk and massage directly on the affected areas. Leave the oat-and-milk mixture on your skin for about 30 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
3. Apply turmeric paste to the affected areas every day. Curcumin is the active ingredient of turmeric spice, which has antioxidant and skin-lightening properties. Mix five-to-six tablespoons of turmeric powder to 10 tablespoons of milk. Add one tablespoon of gram flour to thicken the mixture so it’ll be easier to apply to the skin. Gently massage the paste into the affected areas and leave on for about 30 minutes; rinse off and pat dry.
4. Massage honey-and-almond paste to the affected skin every day. The proteins contained in honey and almonds have a skin-lightening effect on the skin. Add one cup of raw unsalted almonds into a blender with a 1/2 cup of honey. Blend the mixture until it turns into a paste. Gently rub the mixture onto the affected skin and leave on for about 30 minutes; rinse off and pat dry.
5. Apply lemon juice on the affected skin every day. Lemons contain citric acid, which can naturally lighten hair and skin. Wash your hands and squeeze a fresh lemon on the affected areas; gently rub and leave on for 20 minutes. You can apply lemon juice prior to applying any of the remedies mentioned above.