HPV, or human papillomaviruses, are common infections that cause warts. There is currently no cure for HPV warts, but there are many remedies that accelerate the healing. Warts are hard skin growths that appear throughout the body. Warts are basically harmless, causing no serious diseases, but they are contagious. There are various types of warts, and these appear on the hands, face, feet and genitals. The main treatment for warts is to remove them. There are herbal, homemade and commercial products that treat HPV warts. Not all wart removers work for everyone, but many treatments are natural and inexpensive.
1. Try homemade remedies. There are a few products you probably have in your kitchen that will help to cure warts. The juice of fresh garlic cloves is a home remedy for warts. Lemon juice, lime juice and grapefruit juice all have citric acid. Vinegars have ascetic acid. When applied to the warts a few times each day these acids gently exfoliate the layers of the wart. These natural products are a safe way to treat warts.
2. Apply essential oils. Using essential oils is another natural way to cure HPV warts. Some oils suggested by holistic healers are good wart removers. Lemon balm oil has citric acid. Birch oil contains betulinic acid. Both of these acids help to wear away the surface of the wart. Tea tree oil is also recommended in the treatment of warts.
3. Use commercial products. Most over-the-counter products use salicylic acid to treat warts. This mild acid removes the layers of the warts until they grow smaller and disappear. Other commercial products also have a mild acid as the main ingredient. A few commercial products are Compound W and TinaMed Wart Remover. When using these products, be sure to follow the directions carefully.
4. See your doctor. For stubborn warts you should see a doctor. She can prescribe topical ointments like Condylox and Aldara for genital warts. For other kinds of warts, there is cryotherapy, in which liquid nitrogen is used to freeze off warts. Doctors also use a procedure called electrocautery that uses an electrical current to burn off the warts. Another option is to use chemicals like trichloroascetic acid to burn off the wart. Doctors also use surgery to cut out the wart. Laser surgery also can remove warts using a beam of light.
5. Strengthen the immune system. One way to fight the HPV infection is to improve the immune system. This can be done by taking herbs like echinacea and goldenseal. Taking lots of vitamin C is also helpful. To rid the body of warts it is important to have a healthy and strong body and immune system.