Have you ever noticed some flakes when parting your hair? Avoid dark shirts? Dandruff can be embarassing. Often dandruff can be resolved with proper cleasing and this conditioning method. Does this Spark an idea?
1. First off we need to figure out what is causing your dandruff. It is a fungus, dry scalp, product build up (especially hair spray) or from scratching your head. These are the most likely causes. This is not for dandruff caused by fungus. You’ll want to use a zinc product like head and shoulders for that. I think there’s a good chance you don’t have a fungal problem on your head. I mean you shampoo your hair virtually everyday, right? ..well all that shampooing might be part of the problem.
2. Go get your moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I like Bath and Body Works cherry blossom. They have a line of different scented moisturizing shampoos and conditioner. Guys you’ll probably want to skip the Bath and Body works, it doesn’t smell too masculine.
3. Get in the shower and wet your hair. Pour a good sized dollop of shampoo into your hands and start shampooing. Pay attention to your scalp. Massage it, even use your fingernails a bit to get any dead skin cells out. If your scalp is damaged be careful not to further injure yourself.
4. Thoroughly rinse your hair. Apply conditioner to all of your hair paying close attention to the scalp. Allow to sit for a few minutes. Rinse thoroughly. Apply a second application of conditioner and rinse. You’re done washing your hair. You’ll only need to condition twice initially.
5. Towel dry, air dry or blow dry your hair. Now that your hair and scalp are clean and moisturized you can use a moisturizing styling product if desired. On a daily basis try to limit the products you put in your hair, especially hair spray. Try to eliminate hair spray if possible. It’s easy to get product build up, and that may be one of the causes of your dandruff. Try using creams, oils and serums.
6. Now quit shampooing so often! I don’t know when we became a nation obsessed with shampooing everyday but we have. All that hot water and shampoo everyday can be drying to your scalp and hair. Some people think it’s gross not to wash your hair everyday but I’m going to have to disagree. Your scalp produces natural oils that are good for your hair. Now I’m all for taking a shower everyday mind you. Just wear a shower cap at least a few times a week. Models do not wash their hair everyday.
7. Try doing a conditioner only day every week or as needed. “Washing” your hair with conditioner only will help keep your scalp moisturized and prevent flakes. Conditioner only will also come in handy if you shampooed your hair the day before and then went somewhere smoky and now your hair stinks like cigarettes.
8. Don’t run your fingers across your scalp or scratch your head. It’s a nervous habit for many, try to keep your fingers busy. Write an ehow.com article!